Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Fresh Perspective

I used to be a really neat person. I don't mean 'neat' meaning 'cool,' but ORGANIZED. Everything had its place and it was easy to find things. I liked when things in my cupboard were where they were supposed to be. I used to lay in bed, thinking about how to better position the clothes and shoes in my closet so they were easier to get to. I'd have trouble sleeping if I knew there were dirty dishes in the sink. It's not that I am a super neat freak or that I love to clean, by any means. I'd rather spend time with my husband, playing with pictures on the computer or scrapbooking. But I like to be efficient. And being organized means that I (and others) can find things much easier and much faster when they're needed.
Jack and Ben, 4 months old
The boys' room has a floor-to-ceiling organizer with totes labeled with their onesies, bed sheets, socks, etc. The attic has almost fifty bins, six of them organized with clothes for the boys from newborn to 24 months. But here's the thing: all of those things were done BEFORE the boys were here. Since bringing them home in May, I have not done one thing around my house. I'm barely keeping up with the organizational systems I had set up for myself! I feel like my house is in a constant state of disarray! But it doesn't bother me like I would have expected it to. Spending time with my boys is soooo much more important than organizing another shelf or making sure the dishwasher is empty. Time goes by so fast. Jack and Ben are four months old today and are more interactive than ever! They can stand and sit up with support, laugh, and drool like crazy! I don't want to miss a thing. True, there's a mound of junk sitting on my kitchen table that's been there for about six weeks. Papers are lining each side of the computer desk, giving me just enough space to set my arms on top to reach the keyboard. But do you know what? That junk isn't going anywhere. For today, my job is to care for my little men. I'll get to it all someday. But for right now, I have something much more important to do.

1 comment:

  1. Mindy,
    I couldn't have said this any better myself! Word for word, you nailed it (for me)! Including having 50 bins of stuff all organized and stored!

    Keep up the good work, girl. You are right where you're supposed to be!

    ReplyDelete