Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Two-Week Update

Jack and Ben are now officially two weeks old!
It's been a very busy two weeks. I never thought that watching my husband load the dishwasher or change a dirty diaper could be so attractive. That the phrase, "Honey, let me watch them so you can get some sleep" would immediately bring tears to my eyes. That seeing my sons smile (even if it is gas) would make me giggle with delight. I never thought I'd count their fingers and toes so many times or go into their room just to see that they were still breathing. Yes, our lives have been deeply blessed.
Andy stayed home from work with me for the first week and we really enjoyed getting to know the boys through our new schedule (albeit with VERY little sleep.) During that time, we began working with a lactation consultant so I could learn how to breastfeed the boys... which is no easy task! Doctors were concerned because they weren't gaining the kind of weight they had expected. They weren't losing weight, but just not gaining. So we started supplementing with formula and also pumping in order to increase my milk supply. I had to increase my calorie intake by 1,000 calories a day while also healing from major abdominal surgery. I was absolutely exhausted, having only 45 minutes for 'cat naps' between feedings! Andy returned to work this past Monday and so my mom has been helping me during the day (and sometimes through the night) to receive extra assistance. We're still working with the lactation nurse to refine our technique and come up with new battle plans, but we got a good report today... both boys gained weight!
Jack is now back to his birth weight of 6 lbs, 5 oz, a gain of seven ounces since our last visit on Friday. Ben is now up to 7 lbs, 1 oz, a gain of ten ounces since our last visit. It's still a lot of work - we're feeding every two hours around the clock - but we are very pleased with our new progress. God has been very good. We now have a routine that we feel confident with and are hopeful that things will continue to go smoothly.
I got on the scale the other day and learned that I am seven pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight. Hooray for breastfeeding! I guess I'm going to enjoy this new "Mindy, eat this candy bar. You have to consume more calories!" phase. Lord knows, it won't last forever. :)

3 comments:

  1. That's wonderful they gained weight! We'll keep you all in our prayers. I know it's hard breastfeeding. I had a very hard time with Lucinda. But it sounds like you have a wonderful support team! Praise God!

    Love you all!!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Mindy! Keep plowing through, you can do it! =) Sleep deprivation is a big deal, I'm praying you get as many Zzzz's as possible! Good to hear the boys are gaining weight. And good job getting the breastfeeding help that you needed, seriously. =)
    That is awesome that you've only got 7lbs left to go, skinny girl! I do too, but I've got 7 months on ya-- I think you'll beat me!! =) Can't wait to see ya... Love & Miss you!
    Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful Mindy! I remember thinking the same thing about Chris. It's amazing how "sexy" daddy duty is.

    We supplemented breastfeeding with formula as well and in the end what is important is that the kids are happy and healthy! Kudos to you for breastfeeding twins! Enjoy the extra calories!

    We look forward to following you guys on the blog!


    Love,

    Jahaira

    ReplyDelete