Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Fluke? An Accident? No... JOY!

Call it a fluke. Call it an accident. Call it luck. I don't care.

MY BOYS SLEPT FOR NINE HOURS STRAIGHT LAST NIGHT!


Daddy with his boys, Jack and Ben, last night before bedtime

Jonathan has, more recently, been the first one to wake up. And since I try and keep them (roughly) on the same schedule, I'd have to wake up Benjamin, too. I always felt guilty doing that, feeling like he would have slept for a few more hours. I had come to the conclusion that Jack just needed less sleep than Ben. If Jack woke up early from a nap during the day, I'd let Ben sleep a few more minutes before going in to wake him.

I woke up through the night... 3:30... 4:30... and each time, I'd think, "Wow, they haven't gotten up yet. Just a few more minutes..." and then I'd go back to sleep. When I woke up at 7:07, I stared at my alarm clock in disbelief. They still weren't awake! I shook Andy (twenty minutes past when I normally would have woken him up for work) and explained the situation. "They never got up through the night!" I exclaimed. He didn't seem as excited as I was, though. His face was concerned as he jumped out of bed to check their breathing and be sure their cribs were dry. Oops. Should I have been more concerned? I was so ecstatic about the extra sleep that I hadn't even thought they might have been in danger! He reappeared in our doorway after what seemed like an eternity and gave me a look that said, "Yeah. Wow. They're still asleep and I think they're alright."

As Andy turned the water on for his shower, I heard one of the boys stirring. And do you know what? It was Ben! As with most things lately, the moment I try and label one of them, they switch it up!

I don't even care if this was a fluke and if it doesn't happen again for another six months. They slept for more than nine hours last night and THAT is worth celebrating!

1 comment: