Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Learning Curve

Since having the boys, I have to learn to do everything again. It's not that I didn't know how to do these things before, but with two babies at once - or even if I only had one - you just can't do things the same way. Here are some examples:
  • Taking a shower: This task is different depending on what time of day I'm able to do it. In the evening, it is a beautiful way to relax after the boys are asleep. I can take as long as I want (and I often do,) enjoying the warmth. In the morning, however, it is purely functional. Get in, get out, keep moving. I'm proud to say that I can be completely ready in exactly five minutes... showered, dressed, and out the door (but that's because Andy usually drives and I put my makeup on in the car.)
  • Doing my hair: I've never been one to spend a great deal of time with my hair, but I spent a lot more time than I do now! After I showered, I would blowdry it straight and then curl it with hot rollers. I almost always left it down. Now, that's something I only try to do on Sundays and special occasions. Now, I brush it and let it airdry. Then it's back into a ponytail for the day!
  • Getting ready to go out: I suppose this one goes without saying. I'm no longer concerned JUST with making sure we have our wallets, cell phones, and keys before going out the door. Now, I have to be sure I have at least three onesies, sleepers, outfits, socks, and hats as well as plenty of diapers and wipes. In the diaper bag, there should also be plenty of toys (including teething rings) to keep them occupied and an extra nail clipper, nose-sucker-outter-thing, and cotton swabs. I usually try and pack these things the night before we go anywhere to make the mornings a little easier. Obviously, that also includes getting the boys dressed and in their car seats, a task that Andy assists with, too. On Sundays, he usually showers first so he can get the boys dressed while I shower and do my hair (see above.)
  • Making dinner: I used to put food in the CrockPot the night before, or start dinner as soon as we got home from work. Sure, I tried to plan my menu so I'd have the groceries I needed, but it was also a lot easier to make a quick trip to the store if I forgot something. Now, it's a process that requires even more planning. I plan my menu by looking through the sale ads and more recently, Taste of Home, my favorite cooking magazine (I'm *trying* to try different recipes.) Then I make a complete grocery list, adding every little thing that pops into my head that I could get at the store. After all, my time away from the boys is limited - but thanks to my mom, does exist - so I have to try and make the most of my time. When I'm home, dinner preparation starts in the morning. I make sure the meat is defrosted and start chopping any vegetables or any other prep-work in the afternoon during the boys' nap or if I'm able to steal away. Then, when Andy comes home, he watches the boys while I finish putting everything together. It's ideal to eat by 6:30pm because the boys' nighttime schedule begins shortly after.
  • Doing laundry: I am SOOOO grateful Andy put in a front-loading washer and dryer on our floor. Living in a double and living on the top floor, this is quite a novelty. And I absolutely love it. I used to do about two loads a week. Now, it's more like two loads a DAY! I try and coordinate it so the washer is running while they're awake and then I fold everything on the dining room table while they're awake and where they can see me. I have found it to be demoralizing to try and clean while the boys are sleeping, so I try and do as much as I can when they're awake.
  • Washing the dishes: My husband is such a great support to me and a great help around the house. The dishes (including bottles) has become a job that he does with great joy... and much appreciation!!! After the boys are asleep, he unloads the dishwasher, loads it again and handwashes each of the boys' bottles. Uh. I am so grateful. This is such a blessing since I could spend a great deal of time with this each day. Other wives would understand, too, that this is an exhausting task especially after doing the work to create a nice meal! Thanks, Andy!

Having twins has literally changed my life. But five months later, I'm grateful to have found a sort of routine that works for us. It is a routine that is constantly changing as the boys grow, but I think we're getting the hang of the new flux our lives have begun. Next to meeting and marrying my best friend, having Jonathan and Benjamin has been one of the BIGGEST blessings of my life. True, I haven't slept more than six hours at a time since they've been born and I may not have a chance to do my hair anymore, but hearing the giggles of my little men when their daddy walks through the door gives me an enormous amount of joy. I wouldn't trade it for the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment