Friday, July 17, 2009

Sleeping Well

The boys slept through the night for the first time! While I'm hoping this is not a "freak" thing, it did take some discipline to establish.

I had read the book, Baby Wise, by Gary Ezzo while I was pregnant and was convinced his recommended schedule would help us teach the boys how to sleep. I was right, but we had to wait a while to implement it. There were too many other things for me to keep track of during their first few weeks of life; I couldn't justify adding something new to my plate when we had to WAKE them every 2.5 hours to eat!

In his book, he talks about the importance of a routine - for baby as well as the family - in establishing a healthy wake/sleeping pattern. He encourages parents to establish a schedule for feeding their baby (while being sensitive to that particular child) so they grow accustomed to being awake more during the day and sleeping at night. My sister, Ellie, has had a lot of success with her son sleeping through the night, so when they were 10 weeks old, I started with my boys. Now, it's been one of those I-wish-I-had-done-this-sooner things.

Jack and Ben are doing well - overall, they're pretty easy going - but it will take some time for it to become a real routine. They don't appreciate when I try and keep them awake when they want to sleep, but progress is progress! For now, I'm just grateful for the 'extra' sleep and increased sanity!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete