Thursday, July 9, 2009

Update

The boys had their two-month doctor's appointment yesterday. I was surprised by how well they did! Not only did they brave through three vaccinations (two of them were shots!!!!) but they also got weighed and measured. Jonathan was 11 lbs., 13 oz. and in the 50th percentile for growth. Benjamin was 12 lbs., 6 oz. and in the 55th percentile. I couldn't believe it! We are so grateful that they are growing so well!

The doctor asked me questions about their development - their diapers, feedings, sleeping and stuff like that - and I was glad to know that they are RIGHT on track! But one question I never know exactly how to answer is about how their food is provided. Breast milk or formula? I don't know what to say when someone asks, "Are you breastfeeding?" Well, yes and no.

My boys are getting the majority of their sustenance from breast milk, but they are not nursing to get it. I'm expressing (pumping) the milk and then giving it to them in bottles. Technically, it's the same thing but this gives me the accuracy of knowing exactly how much they're consuming while also providing me the flexibility of having other people feed them.

When the boys were first born, I was nursing them at tandem almost immediately. I had talked to quite a few mothers of twins that had done that and I wanted to do the same. I was determined. But since my body didn't produce enough milk before the end of our hospital stay, the boys lost too much weight and we had to supplement with formula. They were gaining weight well, but their latch was poor because of their new reliance on the bottles. And when I did bring them to the breast, they were such different feeders that I had a hard time knowing how much they were getting. Jack was very aggressive and painful. Benjamin, on the other hand, was just slow. He was much more gentle, but would have loved to stay on the breast for more than an hour each time! I'm sure that'd be fine with just one baby, but it was nearly impossible for me with two babies who were feeding every 2-2.5 hours around the clock! I felt like I was a feeding machine with no time for anything else (especially my much-needed sleep!) I had been pumping to try and increase my milk supply, so then I just continued on that route. We worked extensively with a lactation consultant, who was determined to make us her First Twin Success Story. Perhaps that's why I feel like I have to explain myself. I suppose I feel guilty for 'letting her down.' But at the same time, I suppose I should be satisfied that my boys are eating well and are gaining excellent weight, right?

Anyway, my boys are getting The Good Stuff (or "liquid gold" as we like to call it) all through the day, which ends up being 20-25 ounces for each baby every day. And then we feed them formula through the night, which is 3-6 ounces for each of them in two bottles. Not bad, huh? The most difficult part is trying to find the 15 minutes I need to express milk every 3.5 hours. But that's getting a little easier now that their sleeping times are extending a little through the night... and thank God for my husband's and my mom's help!!

People are always curious if the boys are always hungry at the same time. My answer: YES! :) For our sanity, we try and keep them on the same schedule as much as possible. So the first baby to show signs of hunger or wanting a nap is the one that determines it for the other. We feed one, we feed the other. We change one, we change the other. When one naps, so does the other. If we didn't, we would easily lose track and would probably collapse from exhaustion in trying to cater to each of their needs at the exact moment they want it. It's also important that they sleep at the same time so we can sleep, too. But thank God, they are really good babies and only cry when they need something.

So that's my story. And I'm stickin' to it... at least for now. :)

1 comment:

  1. You should be very proud of yourself, Mindy! It's GREAT that you've been able to stick to your pumping schedule for this long, what an accomplishment!!
    I know the awkwardness in answering the question about how you feed your babies-- breastfed and bottlefed aren't exactly mutually exclusive! I think I used to answer "breastmilk in a bottle" or "pumping exclusively." Whatever-- you know the boys are growing and healthy and that's what counts =)
    Thanks for posting your story =)

    ReplyDelete