Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thirty Eight Weeks

We are 38 weeks today. I can't help but think about the fact that this is exactly when my boys arrived: at 38 weeks. Jack arrived weighing in at 6lb, 5oz and Ben weighed in at 7lbs, 7oz. Not too shabby for twins! I remember being much more uncomfortable at this point. Couldn't sleep. Couldn't stand the thought of climbing stairs. And couldn't possibly imagine how different my life would become once they arrived.

I spent a lot of time in the baby's room tonight. I did do a little bit: put the flower decails up, moved around some of the accessories and tried to make things look "ready." I hadn't always been sure about the Pepto-Bismol colored shades or the hodge-podge style that her room has become. But throughout the last few weeks, the baby's room has easily become one of my favorite rooms in the house. So peaceful. So precious. So "baby." So tonight, I just sat in her room. And rocked. Felt my baby move and looked over the space that will be her bedroom. I prayed. For her delivery, our first few months together and the rest of her life. Wondered about what she'll be like. How she'll get along with her brothers (who are super-excited about her arrival.) And felt like, for the first time since we've been in our apartment, it was finally complete.

Because we moved the day we found out we were pregnant, it took me a while to get things organized. I was so sick all of the time and had no extra energy to devote to making our house a home much less cook dinner for my family! I did my best, but honestly, we watched a lot of television and ate a lot of takeout. But thankfully, that was just a season! I organized what I could so that the important stuff was taken care of. No matter how hard I tried, though, there was always at least ONE space that was designated as the "dump" room. For much of the time, it was what is now the baby's room. We had junk PILED into that small space, most of the time it was five feet in the air! Then we cleaned it out to set up the boys' big boy beds. Then it was OUR bedroom that was the junk pile. When we started getting more serious about changing the room to a baby's room, we started working toward getting the junk out of our room and making the baby's room look like... well, a baby's room. Everything took forever. And our basement isn't amazingly organized, but it's a lot better down there than seeing it in our apartment! Seems like you have to make more of a mess in order to start cleaning. But for the first time in more than seven months, our house is complete. Not completely organized, but most of our stuff is in its 'final' resting place.

Now we just need our little one to make it officially complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment